Welcome! The governing body at Vigo Primary School are a committed team of volunteers who have either been elected by parents or staff, or have been appointed by the governing body because of the skills and experience they bring to the board.
Governors are not expected to be involved in the day to day running of the school but take a strategic approach, we have three core functions which are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.
In practice, this means our responsibilities include:
- Planning the school’s strategic direction in consultation with the Headteacher and senior leaders
- Ensuring there is a broad and balanced curriculum in place which meets the needs of every child
- Helping to raise standards, focusing on long term development and improvement
- Demonstrating accountability to all of the stakeholders in the school for the use of resources and the standards of teaching and learning
- Providing an independent view which both challenges and supports the Headteacher and senior leaders
At Vigo Primary School we are fortunate in having a governing body with a wide range of skills and experience. We are committed to ensuring that children receive a high quality education which enables them to reach their full potential within a caring school community where they feel valued and safe.
Throughout the year we aim to provide you with updates via the website and look forward to meeting you in school. Thank you for your support.