Intent, Implementation and Impact Wall
We believe that all children are entitled to a rich, broad, balanced and relevant curriculum which incorporates the aims of our school vision: to Open a World of Learning and Opportunity. We aim to provide a creative, inclusive, challenging curriculum that inspires future thinkers, innovators and problem solvers in an immersive environment that stimulates and supports learning. Our drive is for each child to be the best possible version of themselves; we don’t just seek to develop children academically but also socially, morally, spiritually and culturally so all children can make a positive contribution to school life and to their wider community. Excellence and enjoyment is at the forefront of all learning and teaching, allowing challenge and stimulation across the whole curriculum.
We strive for all learners to develop high levels of motivation for learning in order to achieve excellent standards of education. In order to do this we will develop:
- A broad and balanced range of subjects are taught, including the compulsory elements of the National Curriculum.
- The National Curriculum will be enriched by our ‘50 things to do before you leave Vigo’ and by inclusion of content that adds cultural capital and motivates children to find out more about the world around them.
- The understanding that rather than thinking ‘I can’t do this’ they understand the power of YET and say ‘I can’t do this yet!’
- Pupils’ meta-cognitive thinking skills - Promote the language and behaviours of learning, ensuring that children are encouraged to see themselves as learners; encouraging them to ask questions and experiment without fear of failure.
- Pupils’ social, moral, spiritual and cultural understanding.
- A varied range of teaching strategies to enhance engagement
- Core writing and mathematics skills to be embedded across other subjects.
- Technology being used to promote digital literacy and enhance pupils learning experience. Sensitivity and understanding: showing respect for the rights, views and property of others and respecting the different experiences each child brings with them to school
- A responsible and independent attitude of all pupils towards their work and value their roles in society.
- Well ordered environment where we celebrate diversity and individuality and where creativity and originality can flourish, supported by a team of motivated, professional and committed staff and governors.
- Make a real and lasting difference to pupils’ lives
- A love of learning at Vigo Primary School!
As a school we will:
- Provide a wide range of opportunities in the curriculum for children to learn through first-hand experiences, applying knowledge and skills to new situations.
- See every child as an individual and see what we need to do to adapt the curriculum to meet the needs of each child, not try to make the child fit the curriculum.
- Use the outdoors as a vehicle to teach the curriculum with each class engaging with Forest Schools each term
- Help children to make sense of what they do; encourage them to evaluate their work, set targets and take an increasing share in the responsibility for their learning.
- Employ a wide variety of strategies to enable children to learn in different ways.
- Provide a broad and rich curriculum that encourages enthusiastic participation, encompassing ability, gender and cultural background.
- Make relevant links across the curriculum.
- Challenge and inspire children, expecting the most of them, so as to deepen their knowledge and understanding.
- Recognise the talents and interests of our children through our curriculum.
- Provide after school extra-curricular opportunities that enhance and offer other learning opportunities.
Vigo Primary School will regularly review the curriculum to ensure the best possible opportunities are offered to all learners.