Song of the Week
Song of the Week
If you’re looking for a range of great songs from all around the world, you’ve come to the right place!
This page will be updated with a variety of songs of different styles and genres. Why not listen to something new today?
Scroll down to find the song for this week!
SMSC - Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural development
Music is a great tool for people of all ages to explore and expand their spiritual and cultural development.
Children’s Spiritual development is shown by their:
- ability to be reflective about their own beliefs (religious or otherwise) and perspective on life
- knowledge of, and respect for, different people’s faiths, feelings and values
- sense of enjoyment and fascination in learning about themselves, others and the world around them
- use of imagination and creativity in their learning
- willingness to reflect on their experiences
At Vigo, when children listen to music, we encourage them to consider how it makes them feel but also respect how it may make other people feel. Children should be open to using their imagination and show creativity when listening to and responding to music. We aim to foster in our children a willingness to share (in whatever way is comfortable for them) their own opinions and response to music.
Children’s cultural development is shown by their:
- understanding and appreciation of the wide range of cultural influences that have shaped their own heritage and that of others
- understanding and appreciation of the range of different cultures in the school and further afield as an essential element of their preparation for life in modern Britain
- ability to recognise, and value, the things we share in common across cultural, religious, ethnic and socio-economic communities
- willingness to participate in and respond positively to artistic, musical, sporting and cultural opportunities
- interest in exploring, improving understanding of and showing respect for different faiths and cultural diversity and the extent to which they understand, accept and respect diversity. This is shown by their respect and attitudes towards different religious, ethnic and socio-economic groups in the local, national and global communities
At Vigo, we hope that our children will be children who grow to appreciate the backgrounds of performers and a variety of musical styles. They will learn to appreciate the influences from countries around the world on music we have in the UK today. We encourage them to show respect and understanding to each other’s heritages, backgrounds and musical preferences. Music should ultimately bring people together, not separate them.